Browsing though the galleries of artist I admire (on deviantart), I notice most of them follow a consistent subject matter that is individual to each artist. Some draw humans, some draw animals, some draw a specific fandom, etc. And to be more specific, these artists tend to stick to a style driven subject matter - some draw cute girls, some draw more westernised Zelda fanart, some draw exotic bird like creatures, some draw their own original species. Their subject matters are for the most part, the same thing.
Going through my own gallery, I notice that my subject matter is all over the place. A majority of what I draw centres around animals, but I hardly focus on a particular animal. And either way, my style is also all over the place (at least from my perspective). When I get an idea in my head, I just start drawing. Never mind if the last artwork I uploaded was a completely different subject matter. Besides, I want to draw many different things; I always thought drawing the same thing over and over would get boring.
The problem is that this has started to get me worried. The artists I admire are admired by thousands of other people - perhaps subject matter, and style driven subject matter, is what makes their art appealing to so many people. Since I don't follow a subject matter, perhaps my art isn't as appealing. It might also be confusing or derailing to current watchers that I upload the most random of subject matters.
So I'd like to ask YOU, my dear watcher, to give your opinion on these questions:
- Do you prefer to see similar art from a particular artist that has honed a particular style?
- Does it upset you when an artist starts drawing a completely different subject matter from what they drew before?
- Do you think I have a art style? Or is my style as random as I thought?
- Would you be able to pick out my artwork if it was nested in-between hundreds of other artworks?
- What is your opinion on my concerns (stated above) in general?
I'd really appreciate your feedback.
Have a great day!